Oldest Known Henderson Ancestor
- Jonathan Henderson
- Jonathan Henderson, according to history, was born in a small hamlet hear Glasgow, Scotland in 1765. After arriving in America, he settled first in Virginia, then Tennessee, and finally in Indiana. Jonathan is listed on the 1800 Blount County, Tennessee tax list and as a witness in 1819 on a deed between Samuel Henderson and Thomas Rhenolds. Jonathan's will, listed in the probate records of Lawrence County, Indiana, indicates he died sometime before 1835. Jonathan supposedly married Jane Thomas, although a date and location are not known. Jonathan and Jane's burial places are unknown.
Children of Jonathan Henderson and Jane Thomas were:
- Hannah Henderson
- Samuel Henderson
- Nancy Henderson (ggg-grandmother)
- James Henderson
- Jane Henderson
- John Henderson
- Jonathan Henderson
- Thomas Henderson
Excerpt from Deed Book of Lawrence County, Indiana:
(2:32-33) Samuel Henderson to Thomas Rhenolds: 28 Jun 1819, $500, 150 ac on waters of Pistol Creek, part of Grant #1766 to James Donohoo. Wit: Jonathan Henderson, Thomas Henderson, 13 Dec 1819.
Excerpt from Lawrence County, Indiana Probate Order Book A, pg 313:
James Henderson, administrator of the estate of Jonathan Henderson, deceased files an account of a further Bill of Sale of said estate amounting to twenty dollars and twenty-five cents.
After expenses of the estate were paid and administrator paid for his services, there remained $221.85 to be distributed among heirs as follows:
Jane Henderson, Widow (maiden name unknown)$73.95
Samuel Henderson $18.48 3/4
Nancy Guthrie, wife of William Guthrie $18.48 3/4
James Henderson $18.48 3/4
John Henderson $18.48 3/4
Jonahan Henderson (Jr) $18.48 3/4
Jane Barnhill, wife of Gabriel Barnhill $18.48 3/4
They being sons and daughters of said descendent, and to the heirs of Thomas Henderson, and the heirs of Hannah Anderson, late Hannah Henderson dec'd $36.97 1/2 the sum their deceased parents were entitled to receive, they being heirs of said decedent which is a balance and in full of said personal estate.
Ordered by the court that James Henderson, Guardian for the infant heirs of Thomas Henderson and also of Hannah Anderson have until the next term of this court to make conveyance of the lands of said heirs sold to Jacob Dodd and John Guthrie.
William Dodd's Will dated Sep 4, 1855 (Lawrence Co, IN Will Book A, pg 283) mentions "wife, Zilpha Dodd to have everything during her lifetime, and then all to go to Mary J. Henderson, a girl I am now raising." This Mary J. Henderson is the orphan daughter of Thomas Henderson mentioned in the settlement of the estate of Jonathan Henderson.
- Nancy Henderson
- Nancy Henderson was born 06 Jul 1794 in Virginia. Nancy married Thomas L(ightfoot) Reynolds Sep 23, 1818 in Maryville, Blount County, Tennessee. Nancy and Thomas moved to Lawrence County, Indiana where Thomas died in 1830.
Nancy married again on Jan 23, 1835 to William Guthrie. William died a little more than a year and a half after their marriage. According to William's will, no children were born to Nancy Henderson and William Guthrie.
Nancy and Thomas' oldest son Jonathan had already moved to Guthrie County, Iowa, and on Nov 13, 1855, Nancy moved along with son Robert, his wife Leanna Hoopingarner, and several other families to Jackson Township, Guthrie County, Iowa. Nancy is listed on the 1860 Guthrie County census as living in the household of Robert and Leanna Reynolds. Nancy died in Guthrie County Apr 28, 1864. Her tombstone next to Robert and Leanna in Moffitts Grove Cemetery states "Nancy-wife of Thomas L. Reynolds."
Children of Nancy Henderson and Thomas L(ightfoot) Reynolds were:
- Jonathan Henderson Reynolds
- Christopher Reynolds
- Samuel Reynolds
- Katherine Reynolds
- Robert Reynolds (gg-grandfather)
- Jacob Reynolds
- Mary Reynolds